One of the most popular pre-workouts to be released in recent years is Altius by Jacked Factory. With its impressive ingredients list and non-proprietary mix, it certainly seems to have everything you could want from a high-quality pre-workout.
How effective is it at increasing your energy, focus, strength and pump though? Can it help you pack on more lean muscle mass in a shorter time? And how does it taste? Keep reading our Altius review to find out.
Basic Overview of Altius Pre Workout Supplement
Jacked Factory calls Altius their "flagship" pre-workout - and looking at the doses below it's easy to see why.
This is an exciting workout supplement that focuses on clinically-backed ingredients and effective doses. It might not have the longest ingredients list, but that's because Jacked Factory have only included supplements with solid science behind them.
As with all our reviews, we're not just interested in results, but also value for money. It's not hard to make a high-quality supplement, but it is difficult to make one at a reasonable price.
As Altius is a bit more expensive than other pre-workouts - unless you can find it on sale - we were interested to see whether it can provide genuine value. With that said, Altius certainly passed our first test: it has clinically-backed ingredients and doses, with no proprietary blends.
What Does Altius Do?
From looking at the Altius ingredient list, it's clear the pre-workout aims to provide an all-round boost to your workout rather than specifically focusing on energy or pump. With that said, it's most effective at enhancing:
- Focus & Energy
- Muscle Strength
- Muscle Pump & Fullness
We'll be going through the effectiveness of each of these goals later on. Some of the ingredients will also help with muscle recovery and growth.
Before we go any further though, let's take a look at the ingredients profile to see what's actually in Altius.
The first thing to note about the Altius pre workout supplement is that it doesn't contain any proprietary blends. The preworkout industry is finally moving away from the dishonest practice of hiding ingredient quantities, but there are still loads of proprietary blends on the market. It's great that Altius doesn't hide anything - you know exactly what you're getting with each scoop.
We are also impressed by the doses per serving in Altius preworkout. Most of the important ingredients are dosed at clinically-backed values, so you get the full strength, energy, focus and endurance benefits.
Here's an overview of some of the most important ingredients:
- L-Citrulline Malate (8000mg). The core ingredient of Altius is the huge 8g dose of Citrulline Malate. This is higher than almost any other pre-workout supplement (including 4 Gauge - click here for our review) and at the top end of clinically effective doses for this ingredient. Citrulline helps increase arginine levels in the blood, which enhances nitric oxide production to increase blood flow to muscles. This results in a noticeable increase in pump (Altius is our #1 pump pre-workout), improved anaerobic performance and a reduction in muscle soreness.
- Beta-Alanine (3200mg). Beta-Alanine is an amino acid that's converted into carnosine in muscles. It helps reduce fatigue, so you can work out longer and push harder in those last few sets. The 3200mg dose isn't the highest we've seen, but it's well within the ranges in most clinical studies.
- Creatine Monohydrate (3000mg). If you've been taking supplements for any length of time, you already know the proven benefits of creatine, such as increased strength, enhanced muscle growth and boosted anaerobic endurance. The 3000mg is slightly more than the recommended daily amount for an 82kg person during a maintenance phase, proving once again that a lot of thought has gone into the doses of this preworkout.
- Betaine (2500mg). Betaine has a number of potential benefits for weight lifting and bodybuilding, including increased strength, endurance and protein synthesis. It may also increase lean muscle mass. The 2.5g included per serving is a generous dose that should provide full benefit.
- Caffeine (325mg). Caffeine is a staple ingredient in most pre-workouts, but not many can match the huge dose included with Altius. This is a double-edged sword: you get a fast boost in energy and endurance, but with a higher chance of potential side effects. Still, if you want the energy to complete an intense workout, 325mg of caffeine isn't a bad place to start.
- Alpha-GPC (150mg). Aside from caffeine, Jacked Factory has also included Alpha-GPC in its energy and focus stack. This ingredient has been shown to improve focus and mood. It may also help increase power, strength and endurance.
- Other Ingredients. Along with the ingredients listed above, Altius also contains vitamin B12 (in the form of Methylcobalamin) and Bioperine. These two ingredients probably won't provide a noticeable boost in your workout performance, but are still worth having. Bioperine, in particular, may help with absorption of the other supplements.
A bonus is that Altius pre workout doesn't contain any artificial dyes, colorings, flavors or sweeteners. This isn't a "make or break" property of a pre-workout, but if you're going to be using a supplement for a long period the fewer unnecessary ingredients the better.
To round things off, Altius is manufactured in the USA. This doesn't necessarily guarantee quality, but it's a bonus - especially as Altius is made in a NSF and cGMP facility.
Taste, Dosing & Mixability
One of the few drawbacks of Altius is the taste. It's not disgusting - and it's certainly not the worst tasting on the market - but it's not the most pleasant to drink either.
There is also only one flavour at the moment: Mixed Berry Blast. We would be interested to know whether Jacked Factory plans to release improved flavors in the future, but it's certainly not a deal breaker.
In terms of mixability, Altius is around average. The citrulline causes a certain amount of foaming, and there is sometimes a chalky after taste which you might need to wash down with a bit of extra water. Again, it's far from the worst on the market in this regard though, and you shouldn't have much of a problem with clumping.
Jacked Factory recommends testing half a scoop with around 10 ounces of water to assess your tolerance. If that's fine, you can increase the mix to a full scoop with 12-20 ounces of water for your next workout. It's best to take Altius approximately 30 minutes before you start your gym session.
How Effective Is This Pre Workout?
As you now know, Altius pre-workout has an impressive list of ingredients that seems to cover all bases when it comes to maximising your workout. Jacked Factory has also gone to great lengths to ensure clinically effective doses of each ingredient.
Is it as effective as the ingredients list suggests, though?
The short answer is "yes." This is an outstanding pre-workout that can provide a clean boost in focus, power and endurance.
If you want a more in-depth breakdown, here's how Altius can improve your workout:
- Energy and Focus. As you would expect from a pre-workout with such a large dose of caffeine, Altius does a great job of giving you a fast boost in energy. The Alpha-GPC provides a more subtle effect, but is a useful ingredient for focus. The only complaint we have here is the lack of L-Theanine, which could balance some of the negative side-effects of caffeine
- Pump. The large dose of Citrulline provides a decent boost in blood flow. This increases muscle pump and fullness. If you're looking for a pre-workout supplement that can reliably increase your pump, Altius is our top recommendation.
- Strength & Power. Like most preworkouts containing safe ingredients, Altius isn't going to give huge increases in strength and power - but it can certainly make a difference. Whether it allows you to lift more varies depending on the individual though.
- Lean Muscle Mass. Altius is great for helping you workout for longer, which can help build more lean muscle in a shorter time. When it comes to increasing stamina and allowing you to power through workouts, Altius is a great choice.
One thing to note is the high dose of caffeine can be harsh and overpowering if you're not used to it. Jacked Factory recommended testing with a half scoop for the first session - but it might be a good idea to slowly increase the dose until you get used to it.
Value for Money
Altius by Jacked Factory is one of the more expensive pre-workouts (per serving) - but that's to be expected considering the quality and high doses.
The question is whether it's worth the money...and we think it is.
We look for pre-workouts that use clinical doses, have a non-proprietary ingredients list and can make a real and consistent difference to your workout. Altius ticks all these boxes, which is why we've listed it as one of the best pre-workouts on the market.
It also provides a great pump and boost in energy. So, if you're looking for a pre-workout for focus, energy and endurance, it's well worth the money.
Altius by Jacked Factory is one of the best pre-workout supplements on the market. It provides great results due to its clinically-backed doses and excellent ingredients profile. If you're looking for a pre-workout that's safe and really works, you can't go far wrong with Altius.